Tuesday 29 January 2008

Looking towards a busy term...

The exam period is a weird time- I have things I know I need to do but I'm completely free to do them as and when I want. Last semester was my 50 credit semester and I'm now facing a 70 credit semester which is kind of exciting, but also intimidating as I still need to work (paid) and carry on with my union commitments (unpaid) plus I'm trying to get more involved with church, I've been asked to sing in their palm sunday service which is exciting, I really hope I can fit it in because, weirdly, I find choral singing really relaxing, and also a style of music that modern churches maybe don't consider that often.
I was in Somerfields today (buying grapes mozzerella and pop socks if you're really interested) and while my friend paid, was looking at the magazine counter. Now I really don't care which star has lost a whopping 2 stone in 45 seconds, or how Myleene Klass lost 58lbs between popping out her baby and leaving the delivery room, or how YOU TOO CAN LOSE 14 STONE AND YOUR SANITY ON OUR EXCLUSIVE 14 DAY LETTUCE AND PEA-SHOOTS DIET!!!
Obviously this country has a strange relationship with food, that's what happens when you cut the end result of something off from how it was produced until cooking and eating just becomes something involving a freezer, a microwave and a sofa in front of the TV. Magazines fetishizing what is already a problematic relationship really doens't help- and I'm fed up of seeing it to the point when I won't buy magazines with this crap written on the front of them. How about teaching people to live healthy lives, both physically and MENTALLY? Why is it weird if a woman says, I'm a size 14 and have better things to do than stress about shrinking to a 12. People in the world are starving to death!! Yarg.
I will be SO happy when these 2 essays are done, maybe I'll stop ranting.

Sarah x x

No comments: